Mars Soil Investigation
- A Mars rover has returned to Earth with a small sample of Martian regolith (soil). Your team has been selected to analyze the soil.
- Like Earth soils the Martian soil sample appears to be a mixture of several materials. Your mission is to:
- Measure the properties of the entire soil sample (mass, volume)
- Separate the components
- Identify the nature of the components
- Recommend further tests
- An investigation must be designed, planned, monitored, implemented and documented.
- Your investigation must explicitly state what aspect of chemical behavior is being explored.
- The unifying investigation document will be a lab report.
- The design and planning of the investigation will be develop from the lab report draft.
- Your instructor will review your design.
- Your progress will be monitored with revisions(s) of the lab report.
- Your instructor can provide most of the investigation materials and equipment.
- Safety is paramount. Lab activities will be performed at school, under supervision.
- This investigation evaluates your INQuiry Learning Targets and counts as exam points.
- Each group member will complete an evaluation of their and their partner's performance.
- Group members may wish to partition the work. However, each group member will be responsible for complete understanding of all parts of the investigation! The instructor may individually quiz a group member as part of the evaluation.
- The final product will be graded with this rubric.
- pop rocks
- iron filings
- kool-aid (dry color)
- baking soda
- fine saw dust