How Oil Refining Works Questions
After reading the article answer these questions with complete sentences in your journal.
- What are fossil fuels made from?
- What are hydrocarbons?
- What three structures (shapes of the molecules) for hydrocarbons are mentioned in the section titled "Crude Oil" ?
- Hydrocarbons can be
a. gases c. solids b. liquids d. all of these
- What are the two most common elements in crude oil?
- What percentage of crude oil is made up of those two most common elements?
- How are all the many mixed hydrocarbons of crude oil separated from one another?
- Fractional distillation separates mixtures based upon the component's
a. boiling point c. melting point b. freezing point d. none of these
- The larger the number of carbon atoms in a hydrocarbon chain, the __________ (greater or lower) the vaporization temperature.
- Complete the table of products made from crude oil.
Row Product Name Number of Carbon Atoms Boiling Point Range 1 petroleum gas 1 to 4 < 104° 2 3 4 5 6 7
- Explain the relationship between the fraction's boiling point and the number of carbon atoms in that component.
- What is the relationship between the state of matter of a crude oil component and the number of carbon atoms in the component?
- What is the range of temperatures found in a distillation column?
- What percentage of crude oil is gasoline?
- Explain how chemical processing increases the amount of gasoline that can be made from crude oil.