Matter and Atomic Structure Test
- The dyes of the marker pen separated in the chromatography lab because:
a. of their different solubilities. c. of their different masses. b. of molecular bonding. d. of chemical properties.
- The chemical component that reacted with HCL in the carbonate lab was:
a. CO3. c. carbon dioxide gas. b. Na. d. Ca.
- Because we can not see sugar particles when sugar is dissolved in water, it is a:
a. heterogeneous mixture. c. homogeneous mixture. b. alloy. d. suspension.
- The energy put into an ice cube to melt it, is returned when the water is:
a. vaporized. c. condensing. b. frozen. d. none of these.
- Are these homogeneous (HOM) or heterogeneous (HET) mixtures?
- ____ mayonnaise.
- ____ Code Red Mountain Dew®.
- ____ pepperoni pizza.
- ____ cheese pizza.
- Are these physical (PHY) or chemical (CHE) properties?
- ____ color
- ____ reactions with water
- ____ density
- ____ mass
- ____ melting point
- ____ flammability
- Are these physical (PHY) or chemical (CHE) changes?
- ____ salt dissolving in water.
- ____ salt and sugar being mixed together.
- ____ railroad tracks rusting.
- ____ tearing a piece of paper.
- ____ acid combining with carbonate to produce CO2 gas.
- For the paper chromatography experiment result that is diagramed on the front board, which dye was more soluble?
a. blue. c. red. b. yellow. d. green.
- Are these elements (ELE) or compounds (COM) or mixtures (MIX) ? You have three choices !
- ____ the rock on the overhead projector.
- ____ uranium
- ____ water
- ____ Au
- ____ CO3
- ____ your skin
- Atoms of the same element having different numbers of neutrons are called:
a. late for dinner. c. isotopes. b. isomers. d. metals.
- In a neutral atom, the number of protons equals the number of :
a. particles c. electrons b. neutrons d. positrons
- Elements in the same group have the same ?
- Elements in the same period have the same ?
- The reason we would round an element's atomic mass to the nearest integer is to:
a. speed our calculations. c. determine the number of electrons. b. determine the mass number of the common isotope. d. determine the atomic weight.
- Compared to electrons in an inner shell, the outer shell electrons have:
a. more speed c. less mass b. greater chemical power. d. more energy.
- What element is in group 4A, period 2?
- Find silicon on the periodic table. How many protons are in silicon?
- What is the atomic number of silicon?
- What is the atomic mass of silicon?
- What is the symbol for silicon?
- How many neutrons are in the most common isotope of silicon?
- In what group is silicon ?
- In what period is silicon?
- On the back draw a Bohr diagram and a Lewis diagram for silicon. LABEL WHICH IS WHICH!