Matter and Atomic Structure Practice Test
Define matter in a complete sentence.
Describe the shape and volume characteristics for these state of matter.
Phase Shape Volume Solid
List three physical properties of matter.
Name two chemical property of matter.
Tell whether the following are chemical or physical changes:
________ toasting bread ________ cutting a piece of paper ________ dry ice turning into vapor ________ cutting a flower
To melt 2 grams of substance X requires 400 Joules (metric energy units). When the liquid freezes how much energy is released?
Are these homogeneous (HOM) or heterogeneous (HET) mixtures?
________ chunky peanut butter ________ smooth peanut butter ________ marking pen inks ________ the chair you are sitting on.
Compare and contrast an element and a compound.
Are these elements (ELE) or compounds (COM) or mixtures (MIX) ?
You have three choices !
_______ wood _______ carbon _______ play dough _______ air _______ oxygen _______ table salt
- Complete this phase change concept map.
- Complete this phase change diagram. Write in the names of the phases (dashed lines) and the phase change processes (arrows). There are seven answers.
- Find sulfur on the periodic table. How many protons are in sulfur? __________
- What is the atomic number of sulfur? ________
- What is the atomic mass of sulfur? ________ What is the symbol for sulfur? ________
- How many neutrons are in the most common isotope of sulfur? ________
- In what group is sulfur ? ________ In what period is sulfur? ________
- Below draw a Bohr diagram for sulfur. Below draw a Lewis diagram for sulfur.