Simplified Biochemistry Test Retake
- The second electron shell of an atom can hold a maximum of ____ electron(s).
- The tendency of water molecules to stick together is referred to as _____________.
- The hydrogens and oxygen of a water molecule are held together by _____________ bonds.
- Water's surface tension and heat storage capacity are accounted for by its ____________.
- An atom with an electrical charge is a(n) __________.
- All atoms of an element have the same number of _________.
- The bond between oppositely charged ions is a(n) __________ bond.
- The higher the pH of a solution, the more / less acidic the solution.
- What name is given to bonds that involve the sharing of e-? ______________
- Draw a Lewis diagram for Aluminum.
- Why does carbon rarely form ionic compounds?
- When a single carbon atom bonds other atoms, what determines the shape of the molecule?
- Carbon can form molecules shaped like _____________________,
__________________________ and _________________________.
- What is the name of the covalent-bonding process by which monosaccharides become polysaccharides?
- A pentose sugar has ______ carbons.
- How can three sugars (glucose, fructose, galactose) with the same chemical formula (C6H12O6) behave so very differently in chemical reactions and in cells?
- An example of a plant storage polysaccharide is __________________________
- An example of a plant structural polysaccharide is ______________________
- An example of a animal storage polysaccharide is ________________________
- An example of a animal structural polysaccharide is _______________________
- Why might cooking a potato make the polysaccharides it contains easier to digest?
- What is the name of the covalent-bonding process by which fat is formed?
- Four linked carbon rings form a lipid group called _________________.
- An example of a saturated fat is __________.
- An example of an unsaturated fat is __________.
- An example of a steroid is __________.
- A fatty acid with one or more double bonds means that it is not ___________ with hydrogen atoms.
- At room temperature a saturated fat is most likely ________ (solid or liquid).
- What is the name of the covalent-bonding process by which proteins are formed?
- How many common amino acids are there?___________________
- Glucose is to starch as amino acids are to _______________.
- The sequence of a protein's amino acids determines its _____________.
- How a protein functions is determined by its ______________________.
- An example of a storage protein is ____________________.
- An example of an structural protein is _____________________.
- An example of a protein involved with movement is _____________________.