General Biochemistry Questions
Answer in complete sentences on a separate sheet of paper.
- What is an organic compound?
- Compare and contrast monomers and polymers.
- Compare and contrast dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis.
- Why can carbon make so many different compounds?
- Draw the structural diagram for methane (CH4) and acetylene (C2H2)
- Draw the structures for each of these functional groups:
- Ammonia (NH3) is a common compound found in many living organisms or their by-products. In 1913, a German chemist, Fritz Haber, discovered a way to make ammonia from inorganic, atmospheric nitrogen (N2) and hydrogen (H2) gas. Why would this be further bad news for people who might have still believed in vitalism?