Necessary Cellular Functions:
- Transport - within the cell.
- Storage - of products and intermediates.
- Digestion -
- Support and movement -
- Reproduction - cells come from cells.
- Protein synthesis -
- Lipid synthesis -
- Energy processing - for work of cell.
- are compartmented portions of the cytoplasm.
- are delineated by membranes.
- allow complex, sequential chemical processes to occur.
- physically separate chemically different areas of the cytoplasm.
- separate in time different chemical reactions.
- Membranes physically connected or connected by transfer of vesicles.
- Membranes exhibit various thicknesses, composition and behavior, both in space and time!
- Organelles included:
Necessary Cellular Functions Redux:
- Transport - vesicles, golgi apparatus.
- Storage - vacuoles, golgi apparatus
- Digestion - lysosomes
- Support and movement - cytoskeleton
- Reproduction - nucleus (and others)
- Protein synthesis - ribosomes (rough ER)
- Lipid synthesis - smooth ER
- Energy processing - mitochondria.