Cell Cycle / Mitosis Study Guide
- Understand and describe cell reproduction cycle.
- Name each cell cycle stage.
- Describe what is occurring in each stage of cell cycle.
- Describe the characteristic that distinguishes each mitotic phase.
- Draw an animal and plant cell showing each mitotic phase.
- Understand differences between plant and animal cell reproduction.
- Understand cell cycle controlled by growth factors.
- Explain what check points are.
- Name and describe prokaryotic reproduction.
- Compare and contrast prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell reproduction
- Understand cancer is subversion of normal cell reproduction.
- Cancer caused by lose of control in cell cycle.
- Cancer requires multiple failures of control and safeguards (p53, etc).
- Failures result from mutations induced by radiation and environmental factors.
Understand meanings and relationships among these terms:
gene, genome, chromosome, chromatin, centromere, chromatids, mitosis, cytokinesis, cell cycle, G0 phase, G1 phase, S phase, G2 phase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, nucleolus, mitotic spindle, cell plate, growth factors, binary fission, differentiation, asexual reproduction, cell division checkpoints, cancer, carcinoma, sarcoma, leukemia, lymphoma, benign, malignant, metastasis, p53.