Mitosis & Meiosis Test
- Complete the table with the name of each cell cycle stage and briefly describe what is occurring in that stage.
Cell Cycle Stage Activity G1
- Complete the table with the name of each mitotic phase and the characteristic that distinguishes that phase from others.
Stage of Mitosis Distinguishing Characteristic
Chromosomes line up on metaphase plate
- What mitosis phase comes after the phase shown to the right ?
- How many chromosomes does this cell have? __________________
- A thread-like association of DNA and proteins in a cell's nucleus is called
a. a chromosome. c. an autosome. d. a gamete. b. a karyotype.
- A gene is
a. the DNA molecule. c. made of many chromosomes. b. an article of clothing. d. a discrete unit of hereditary information.
- Bacteria replicate in a process known as
a. sexual reproduction. c. binary fission. b. bactosis. d. binary fusion.
- Chromosomes are made of
a. chromatin. c. nucleotides. b. DNA. d. all of these.
- In plants, cytokinesis is marked by the appearance of
a. chlorophyll. c. the cell plate. b. the plant wall. d. a cleavage furrow.
- The shortest amount of time spent in any part of the cell cycle is
a. G1. c. cytokinesis. b. G2. d. prophase.
- If you were to divide the cell cycle into just two stages, they would be called
a. G1 and G2. c. interphase and mitosis. b. respiration and photosynthesis. d. mitosis and cytokinesis.
- When the cell cycle is no longer regulated that cell might become
a. a clone. c. cancerous. b. a stem cell. d. a science teacher.
- A cancer that spreads into surrounding tissue is called
a. benign. c. malignant. b. a sarcoma d. a carcinoma.
- For humans, diploid is to haploid as 46 chromosomes are to _____ chromosomes.
- Which of these is not a form of genetic variation that arises through meiosis:
a. crossing over. c. independent assortment. d. independent fertilization. b. random fertilization.
- When eukaryotic cell division produces four haploid gamete cells we call that process
a. messed up. c. meiosis. d. homology. b. mitosis.
- During meiosis, when homologous chromosomes intertwine and segments of the chromosomes we call that
a. naughty. c. metaphase II. d. crossing over. b. random fertilization.
- In humans, having an extra chromosome could cause
a. mental retardation. c. sterility. b. unusual facial characteristics d. all of these.
- What is your grade in this class? _________
- How many hours did you study for this test? ________