Mitosis Questions Key
On a separate sheet of paper answer these questions in complete sentences.
- Compare and contrast how a prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell replicate their genome.
Eukaryotic cells under go mitosis while prokaryotic cells do binary fission.
- How are chromatin and a chromosome related?
Chromosomes are made of chromatin.
- Describe (not just list) the five stages of the cell cycle.
- G1 - growth phase
- S - genome replicated
- G2 - prep for mitosis
- mitosis - divide chromosomes
- cytokinesis - cell splits
- Imagine you are looking at a microscope slide of eukaryotic cell tissue. The field of view shows approx. 100 cells. Estimate the numbers of cells that are in each stage of the cell cycle.
- G1 = 40
- S = 45
- G2 = 10
- mitosis = 5
- cytokinesis = "0"
- List the four stages of mitosis. PMAT
- Describe a distinct characteristic of each stage of mitosis.
- Prophase - Chromosomes condense and nuclear membrane fragments.
- Metaphase - Chromosomes align along metaphase plate.
- Anaphase - Chromosomes divide.
- Telophase - Chromosomes uncoil and nuclear membrane reappears.