Diffusion Activity Questions
- What chemical added to the agar allowed the agar blocks to become colorless in the presence of an acid?
- Describe what you observed in the three agar blocks at the end of the activity.
- What causes the HCl to move into the agar?
- The strength of the HCl solutions increased in steps of 10 times (from 0.05% to 0.5% to 5%). Did the distance the HCl penetrated the agar increase proportionally? Explain.
- Speculate how the results might change if the agar blocks in the HCl solution were heated. Explain your reasoning.
- What was the objective of Part A of this activity?
- Which cube had the smallest pink area? Which had the largest?
- Which cube had the smallest surface area to volume ratio? Which had the largest?
- What was the objective of Part B of this activity?
- Explain how a cell relies upon diffusion.
- All the cell's nutrients and respiration gases must travel through the cell surface. Discuss why this makes the surface area to volume ratio important.
- Are elephant cells larger than mouse cells? Explain.