DNA Mutations Notes
- Point mutations - A change to just one nucleotide base pair. Results in:
- Silent mutation - Change of base pair codes for the same amino acid !
- Missense mutation - the replacement base pair is a valid amino acid codon. Most common point mutation.
- Nonsense mutation - This substitution creates a stop codon that usually creates a non-functional protein.
- Insertion / deletion - nucleotide is added to / removed from the DNA
- Frameshift mutation - causes shift of codon reading and results in non-functional polypeptide.