Cellular Respiration Questions
On a separate sheet of paper answer these questions in complete sentences.
- Define metabolism.
- Define cellular respiration.
- What is the balanced equation for aerobic respiration?
- What types of organisms undergo aerobic respiration?
- What are the chemical inputs to the respiration cycle?
- Where does glycolysis occur?
- What are the chemical waste products of the respiration cycle?
- Why are only 2 ATP available to bacteria for each glucose molecule they metabolize?
- Why did Krebs describe the process that bears his name as a cycle?
- At what stage of the respiration cycle do the carbon atoms from the glucose exit the process? What form does the carbon take?
- At what stage of the respiration cycle do the oxygen atoms enter the process? What form does the oxygen take?
- In the early history of the planet, there was no free oxygen in the atmosphere. What does that imply about the processes of cell respiration?
- Compare and contrast the two types of fermentation.
- In an anaerobic environment why is fermentation REQUIRED? Think about the glycolysis process.
- How many ATP molecules does aerobic respiration produce?
- If a human muscle uses 1 x 107 ATP molecules per minute, how many glucose molecules must that cell be processing per minute?