After reading "Prion." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 11 Oct 2008, 16:26 UTC. 12 Oct 2008 <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Prion&oldid=244590839> answer these questions.
- What is a prion?
- What body organs are affected by prion diseases?
- Describe the treatment and prognosis for a prion sufferer.
- How does a PrPc protein differ from a PrPSC.
- Describe the stability and durability of the PrPSC.
- Define protease.
- How does the term "denaturation" apply to treating the PrPSC?
- How old were you when Prusiner purified a prion agent?
- Do you have PrPC? Explain.
- Describe the structure of PrPC.
- Contrast the PrPC and PrPSC amino acid sequence.
- Contrast the PrPC and PrPSC structure.
- What function does the PrPC perform in you?
- What does a prion affected brain look like?
- What is your favorite animal that gets prion diseases?
- How do animals get infected with a prion disease?
- Outside of a body, where can prions "hide"?
- "Prion diseases are the only known diseases that can be sporadic, genetic, or infectious." Explain this sentence.
- What role does genetics play in prion infections?