DNA Mutations Activity
- On the mutation template, create a word using the amino acid single letter abbreviations from your mRNA Codons Decoder Table.
- The word should have at least six letters not including start and stop codons. This works best if your word includes the letters Y or C or W.
- Record the mRNA codon and its DNA code for each letter
- Using the template, see what each of these mutations do to your word.
- Make a point mutation that results in a silent mutation.
- Make a point mutation that results in a missense mutation.
- Make a point mutation that results in a nonsense mutation (this may not be possible with your message!).
- Make an insertion mutation.
- Make an deletion mutation.
- You may wish to consult the example template
- How are spontaneous mutations different from mutations caused by mutagens?
- List some common mutagens you are exposed to.
- Explain how mutations can be harmful or beneficial to organisms.