On a separate sheet of paper answer these questions in complete sentences.
- How does our book define energy?
- The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that every energy "transaction" increases the disorder of the universe. Yet, organism's biochemical reactions increase their order. Discuss how organisms seem to violate the 2nd law, but don't really. Hint - think big.
- Compare and contrast reduction and oxidation.
- Why are reduction and oxidation reactions often spoken of together and are called redox reactions? Think about the example chemical formula in the book.
- In the formation of table salt (NaCl), what element is reduced and which element oxidized?
- Compare and contrast catabolic and anabolic reactions.
- What do the abbreviations AMP, ADP and ATP stand for?
- Describe (not just list) the three chemical components of AMP.
- Diagram the ATP-ADP cycle.