"Stone" Washing Jeans: Cellulases Questions
After reading the article "Stone" Washing Jeans: Cellulases, answer these questions in your journal with complete sentences.
- Have you ever bought a pair of jeans with "sand" in the pockets?
- When were stone washed jeans introduced?
- Why are they called "stone washed"?
- List four problems of stone washing jeans.
- When was biostoning adopted in the U.S. ?
- What is an enzyme?
- Describe the molecule that cellulase acts upon.
- What two other uses do enzymes have in the textiles industry?
- The genetic code (gene) that tells an organism to make cellulase was first found in a _________.
- For mass production of cellulase, humans moved that genetic code (gene) into ____________.
- What is the author's name?
- What does the author of this article think about changes that biology is bringing to industry?
- How much pumice can a small amount of enzymes replace?
- What sentence in the article makes you think that pumice dust is not safe for humans?