DNA and RNA Review Questions
- Given the great diversity and complexity of life why did it seem to make sense that proteins were the cell's heridtary material?
- How did radioactivity solve the protein vs. DNA debate?
- Compare and contrast DNA polymerase and RNA polymerase.
- How does RNA polymerase know when to stop transcription?
- Evolution is described as conservative. If something works it is kept. Use the codon encoding of amino acids to illustrate this point.
- PCR uses a special DNA polymerase found in a hot springs bacteria.
- Sometime in the past cheetah in Africa was reduced to a very few individuals (perhaps as few as seven!). This is called a genetic bottleneck. Explain how gel electrophoresis would help determine that this had occurred.