Rust-Breathing Bacteria: Miracle Microbes? Questions
After reading the article "Rust-Breathing Bacteria: Miracle Microbes?" by John Roach. April 12, 2004. © 1996-2008 National Geographic Society, answer these questions in complete sentences.
- Why is calling these bacteria "bugs" not scientifically accurate?
- What would be a quick way to poison the geobacter?
- What is geobacter's favorite food?
- What did the geobacter's do with rust and electrons?
- What color is magnetite?
- Two billion years ago what were bacteria busily doing? Did you know that every ear bud (speaker) has little magnets in them!
- What does geobacteraceae mean?
- List four non-gaseous materials that bacteria can breath.
- Think about why we breath oxygen. Think about the role of oxygen in cellular respiration. Now speculate about the role of iron in the bacteria's respiration. Hint: also look at the seventh paragraph.
- Aside from cleaning up around leaky gas tanks, what are the two practical uses Dr. Lovley has found for geobacter?
- What amazing statement does Dr. Lovley make about the biomasses of Earth's organism?
- Explain how the geobacter's heat tolerance impacts how humans will look for life on other planets.