Breathing Rust Questions
After reading the article "Breathing rust - and new life into bug science", by Mary Wiltenburg. © The Christian Science Monitor. October 16, 2003, answer these questions in complete sentences.
- What would be a quick way to poison the geobacter?
- What does geobacteraceae mean?
- List four non-gaseous materials that bacteria can breath.
- Think about why we breath oxygen. Think about the role of oxygen in cellular respiration. Now speculate about the role of iron in the bacteria's respiration. Hint: also look at the seventh paragraph.
- Aside from cleaning up around leaky gas tanks, what are the two practical uses Dr. Lovley has found for geobacter?
- What amazing statement does Dr. Lovley make about the biomasses of Earth's organism?
- Explain how the geobacter's heat tolerance impacts how humans will look for life on other planets.