Directions: In your journal, answer the questions using complete sentences.
- List four topographic factors that influence temperature:
- List three topographic factors that influence precipitation:
- Make a cross-section sketch of the Washington State coast. Include these topographic features: Pacific Ocean, Olympic Mountains, the Puget Sound lowlands, Cascade mountains and the Columbia basin.
- On the sketch show a parcel of air coming in from the Pacific Ocean. Show the processes that happen to the parcel as it crosses the Olympic Mountains. Diagram and label your sketch to include:
- The air absorbing heat and moisture from the Pacific Ocean.
- The air rising up the windward side of the Olympic mountains. What is happening to the air pressure, air temperature and moisture?
- The air falling down the leeward side of the Olympics. What is happening to the air pressure, air temperature and moisture?
- Describe the resulting weather in the Puget Lowlands.